Punchline? Same people. Weight loss and better health, what a miracle.

From The Private Man Blog http://theprivateman.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/insatiable-with-work-safe-photos/

38 Comments

12
yorktown38 yorktown38

Re: Fat people, normal people

yourhumbleservant yourhumbleservant

Re: Fat people, normal people

And smarter too.
One definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.
Slenderwife Slenderwife

Re: Fat people, normal people

Wow. He's still rockin' the ubiquitous goatee that is endemic to fat dudes everywhere. It's the "I have moobs and no jawline, but I still need to look like a guy somehow" facial hair. I'm so over it. Otherwise, the guy (and gal) look sharp.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Lately all I see are moobs and goatees.
Slenderwife Slenderwife

Re: Fat people, normal people

They do look smarter. That could be partly their attire, I suppose. I can definitely see how an employer would hire one over the other. Appearance counts for so much. And for most people, it can be changed.

Re: Fat people, normal people

I had a different aesthetic reaction. When I saw the "before" picture, I thought, "Oh, they look like nice, warm people!"--and not obese, just, well, round.  Then, when I saw the "after" picture, I thought, "Oh, now he looks younger and still a nice fellow, but she looks cadaverous and now has an expression that seems to have a very different relation to the camera.  Before, they both seemed utterly un-self-conscious and just focusing on smiling at whoever was taking the picture. Now, she has a weird and phony expression as though she were posing, focusing on how she appears."

If the thinner versions look "smarter," to me it is because the baseball hat and sloppy shirts are gone.

Also, I somehow feel as though I could "trust" the "before" couple, whereas the thinner couple look as though they are about to embezzle money.

Interesting to think about how we react to surface images!
yourhumbleservant yourhumbleservant

Re: Fat people, normal people

"Also, I somehow feel as though I could "trust" the "before" couple, whereas the thinner couple look as though they are about to embezzle money."

Okay, I’ll give you that.  Had similar thoughts.  They’re not TV ready.  They’re still on their journey to a complete makeover, LOL.
One definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ   ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Re: Fat people, normal people

In my opinion, the woman looked prettier when she was fat... I think she looks too angular now.
The guy is pretty cute both ways - I might prefer him at a weight in between the two pictures...
but, it is their life, their bodies and their decision how to live.  Hopefully their lifestyle changes have made them happier.

I do think that their clothing choices affect our perception of them as well.
Matilda Tuesday Matilda Tuesday

Re: Fat people, normal people

You have a minority opinion.
dan dan

Re: Fat people, normal people

the after picture is awesome.

she looks gorgeous.
WuKong WuKong

Re: Fat people, normal people

It took me a moment to realize it was the same couple in both pictures.

Before, they looked frumpy and idle.

After, they look alive and successful.
"Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live." -
  --  Socrates
Rea Rea

Re: Fat people, normal people

A lean and hungry look, like Cassius. Or Mr. Burns, from the Simpsons. Fat people are often perceived to be more convivial although our own marital situations have shown us that there are a lot of depressed and not very fun fat people out there. Also, very tall people seem more laid back and placid, like their temperament and energy have been diluted compared to much shorter people, who seem more intense and filled with nervous energy. I usually find myself drawn to very tall guys.

 I think that in the first picture, they are both smiling with their eyes whereas in the second, they are smiling only with their lips hence not coming across as more genuine. Still, they are much more attractive with the weight off.

Re: Fat people, normal people

I do agree with you.

Except perhaps for the Mr. Burns comparison...  they're not there yet...

Although it's funny you should mention it, because before I got married, I actually went to the symphony twice with a lawyer who looked just like Mr. Burns.  Age spots included.  The outings were strictly platonic, although I suspected that I was also arm candy since he insisted on pointing out (i.e., walking past) his barber shop when we walked to the concert [he waved through the window].  I had met him at a conference and, since he was an interesting man, and despite the fact that I was 35 years younger than he was, I was quite happy to chat with him a bit further, until it seemed to me that he might actually be taking these outings as "dates" [have always been on the naive side]--at which point, my schedule got very busy.  He began telling me that he did fifty push-ups every morning as soon as he got out of bed [TMI! TMI!].  He did not, however, say "Exxx-x-cellent!"  At least, not that I ever heard.

Good reminder for me, because however frustrating things are with hubs, there are situations that would have been much, much worse...
Rea Rea

Re: Fat people, normal people

Hee heee. That's funny. I used to work with a lawyer who looked just like Mr.Bean. Not Sean Bean, alas. He wasn't all that much fun. My current lawyer is the spitting image of Woody Harrelson. He keeps at least four surfboards in his Scooby van at all times. My friends thought my ex looked just like Kevin Smith (the King of Queens) which he took great offence with when he heard. Not sure why. He sure was not any slimmer than him. I personally think his head is shaped more like Hugh Lawrie, with a long chin, long forehead, no cheekbones and narrow. Has  your husband ever been likened to someone famous?
loveinaturtleshell loveinaturtleshell

Re: Fat people, normal people

I think the first picture, they look happy, but not very comfortable, at least the guy doesn't, his lips seem pursed in an effort to keep his balance with his big stomach.   In the second pic, they are looking rather sexily into the camera.   Maybe they just finished a hot time in bed.    They have a secret: sex is better when you are thin and healthy!   So maybe that is why they look a bit sly....  Yeah!

I bet they are nice whatever size, but I think they feel better without all the weight gone.   LIATS
Mary Mary

Re: Fat people, normal people

life on hold life on hold

Re: Fat people, normal people

 Are you saying that fat people are more friendly looking, Mary?? How ignorant and intolerant of you...  Healthy fit people have feelings, too.  Ya know? :-p  Pffft...  I've read some of your comments.  It's hard to take anything you have to say seriously, if anything at all.  Just saying...
Mary Mary

Re: Fat people, normal people

life on hold life on hold

Re: Fat people, normal people

"super snobby and unapproachable" were the words you chose, Mary.  Call me crazy but I think that counts as calling them unfriendly...  Given the fact that you have nothing to go on but a picture, your comment seems to imply that you think fit people are just what you think about this couple.  I don't believe that anyone here agreed with you...  No one else blasted them in such an unfair way.  Even if someone does agree, that doesn't make it true or right to say.

I'm a fan of the first amendment too, Mary.  Say what you want.  No one is going to stop you here.  I'm just pointing out what i think is nothing more than an absurd assumption...  If you're going to post a "different perspective" on this forum, then be prepared to have that perspective challenged.  I question your sense of balance...

 I don't know the couple in this picture.  I can't vouch for their character. However, at some point, they saw fit to take charge of their health and appearance.  That takes discipline and determination.  They probably helped each other out, A LOT.  That's truly all anyone can say about them.  So why even speculate any further?

In my opinion, that's just as bad as someone bustin up in here and calling fat people sub-human.
Slenderwife Slenderwife

Re: Fat people, normal people

If people are offended at what they see here, they have the whole rest of the Internet. Don't come in here with guns blazing, saying we're awful people.  Disagreement is fine if it adds to the conversation. I haven't seen any lately that *adds to the conversation*. Please reconsider your time spent here if you disagree with most of it.
Mary Mary

Re: Fat people, normal people

12