How to Do an Intervention

Coach Coach

How to Do an Intervention

The chances of your fat spouse reforming his or her habits are slim and none.  There are ways to motivate and get people to do the right thing but it takes an intervention of sorts. I would suggest that you watch the show intervention and observe the behavior of junkies and the frustration of their love ones.  It is maddening.

I can explain how it is done but it takes examples, a support system, preperation and the ability to learn strategies. It takes a skilled interventionist running the show.

The behaviors of the druggie or drunk and pretty much like the behaviors of the over eater but with some major differences. First, a person can live without drugs or booze but we need food, water and air. Food is not considered a dangerous drug but it kills more people than all the drugs and booze combined. Also the very thing that is there to sustain life has become addictive and unhealthy.

When confronting a glutton you will be met with the same resistance as you would if you confronted a junkie or a drunk. You will be met with denial, the lying, the hostility the excuses and the guilt. Addicts are very unpleasant people for the most part and you impulse may be to slap the shit out of them which would work but in this PC world we can't legally do that.

An intervention usually includes the following steps:

Make a plan. A family member or friend proposes an intervention and forms a planning group. ...

Gather information. ...

Form the intervention team. ...

Decide on specific consequences. ...

Make notes on what to say. ...

Hold the intervention meeting. ...

Follow up.

You can't be concerned about hurting their feeling because they are going to play the victim and in an attempt to turn you into the bad guy and to garner sympathy but the truth is, they don't care about your feelings or the damage their beuavir does to you, your realtionship your kids.  Keep in mind your fat spouse is a manipulator who knows how to push your buttons so you have to make your behavior during and intervention unpredictable, cool, calm and collected.

Before you try this watch some interventions on TV or Youtube and watch them with your team. You may fail the first time but you may succeed eventually. You have to decide if it is worth the effort.

http://www.aetv.com/shows/intervention

http://www.aetv.com/shows/intervention

Any questions?
Slenderwife Slenderwife

Re: How to Do an Intervention

This is truly helpful. Thank you.
Coach Coach

Re: How to Do an Intervention

The problem with a lot of support groups is that they don't offer a solution to the problem. <nabble_embed>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIezHZdTO70&t=31s</nabble_embed>

<nabble_embed>https://youtu.be/ZM8-rjrL2TQ</nabble_embed>

<nabble_embed>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM8-rjrL2TQ</nabble_embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM8-rjrL2TQ

For some reason the embed codes are not working so you will have to view this Tough Love For Fatties video on Youtube.