Losing weight AND friends?

12
graygirl graygirl

Re: Losing weight AND friends?

Sabotage!  Their concern is that you'll be slim and they won't. Unless you're thinner than Calista Flockhart, looking peaked, passing out, barely eating, there is no need for concern (or also if you were losing weight without cause - sign of cancer).

Funny, I was usually too embarrassed to push any goodies at a slim person.  I was worried they might say something like "Oh no, I don't eat that kind of stuff."  That would make me feel embarrassed that I did.  I also tended not to serve anyone large portions of a dessert because it seemed wrong to do that to someone overweight, and I figured a slim person might be thinking "wow, she thinks this huge serving is a normal portion - no wonder she isn't skinny."  I've seen fat people do just that, and yes, that's exactly what people at the table thought.
The Buddhist Mortician The Buddhist Mortician

Re: Losing weight AND friends?

LOL @ "Oh, no, I don't eat that kind of stuff..."

I've never found a graceful way around it. The cold hard facts are, if I eat simple carbs, like white bread or sugar, I am going to go directly to sleep. If I eat fried foods, I'll have cramping and, eventually, the trots. So I have to turn those goodies down, but no one believes me when I say my stomach is too finicky. And, really, I don't like how I feel when I eat poorly. Still, it becomes this weird power struggle-- if you eat what they offer, they win one way or another; if you don't, you're an obsessive bitch with an eating disorder. Oh well. :shrug:
You have the right to work, but for the work's sake only. You have no right to the fruits of the work. Never give way to laziness, either.... Those who work solely for the fruits are miserable.-- Bhagavad Gita.
bana bana

Re: Losing weight AND friends?

graygirl wrote
Sabotage!  Their concern is that you'll be slim and they won't. Unless you're thinner than Calista Flockhart, looking peaked, passing out, barely eating, there is no need for concern (or also if you were losing weight without cause - sign of cancer).

Funny, I was usually too embarrassed to push any goodies at a slim person.  I was worried they might say something like "Oh no, I don't eat that kind of stuff."  That would make me feel embarrassed that I did.  I also tended not to serve anyone large portions of a dessert because it seemed wrong to do that to someone overweight, and I figured a slim person might be thinking "wow, she thinks this huge serving is a normal portion - no wonder she isn't skinny."  I've seen fat people do just that, and yes, that's exactly what people at the table thought.
graygirl - I still feel this way.
Eric Bana is hot. Why? Many reasons. One reason is because he's not fat.
bana bana

Re: Losing weight AND friends?

The Buddhist Mortician wrote
LOL @ "Oh, no, I don't eat that kind of stuff..."

I've never found a graceful way around it. The cold hard facts are, if I eat simple carbs, like white bread or sugar, I am going to go directly to sleep. If I eat fried foods, I'll have cramping and, eventually, the trots. So I have to turn those goodies down, but no one believes me when I say my stomach is too finicky. And, really, I don't like how I feel when I eat poorly. Still, it becomes this weird power struggle-- if you eat what they offer, they win one way or another; if you don't, you're an obsessive bitch with an eating disorder. Oh well. :shrug:
Exactly. I think it comes down to one of the two viewpoints someone can have of you in those situations (except for your occasional 'reasonable' person) and that I just can't win. So I'll eat it if I feel like it and won't if I don't.

BTW my body reacts the same way to simple carbs and fried foods too.
Eric Bana is hot. Why? Many reasons. One reason is because he's not fat.
graygirl graygirl

Re: Losing weight AND friends?

There are some people that get so pushy with food.  Like B.M. said, it's a rather evil power struggle and they like to take advantage of your politeness.  There was a recent Dear Abby about a girl whose boyfriend's mother pushed food at her.  Best Abby could come up with was to have the boyfriend have a chat with his mother, and if that didn't work, she should stop attending dinners there.
bana bana

Re: Losing weight AND friends?

Just an update to this very old thread:

One of the biggest snarks that gave me grief about my own weight loss (constantly) has lost over the course of the past year-and-a-half, over 200 lbs. She looks great! And she is a lot nicer* to me now. I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that she is on the receiving end of a lot of the comments she used to make towards me!

* It all started with her being prescribed Adderall for her ADD. While I'm not a big fan of meds her morbid obesity would have killed her too soon. The weight just started falling off of her. I'm glad for her whole family! She's like a different person.