My husband is morbidly obese

Bren92 Bren92

My husband is morbidly obese

Hello. My husband is morbidly obese and does not seem to care. He was overweight when I met him, but since has let himself go to the point where I am starting to become discusted. I do love him, but he is 300 lbs and will not believe me when I tell him it is dangerous and he is in the morbidly obese category. I am a nurse and have seen in the hospitals what can happen to morbidly obese people. He thinks he is just overweight. He eats so much food it is ridiculous, enough to feed an entire family at meal times. When I ask him to get exercise, or to eat a less he gets angry with me. I need him to lose some weight, I can't stand sitting here with my mouth shut while he eats himself to oblivion!!!! My question is, is there anyway to get my husband to see the truth about his weight?
LaVidaBoring LaVidaBoring

Re: My husband is morbidly obese

Can you bring him to the hospital with you to see firsthand what happens to super morbidly obese people? Maybe you can scare him straight that way.
Vontriece Vontriece

Re: My husband is morbidly obese

I know every situation is different, but there is a way. It starts with very direct communication you can do from there. In my experience you need to make it very clear that you do not intend to stay with him unless you see a change. It's okay if he gets angry. People do. You sound a little pissed off yourself. You need to let him know he's not just overweight and you find his behavior to be unacceptable.
RiderX RiderX

Re: My husband is morbidly obese

not sure how much it would help, but if he's claiming to be "overweight" but not "obese", show him where he is on the BMI Chart. Once you've established that his obesity is a scientific fact rather than an 'opinion he doesn't share', maybe you can show him some facts on what happens to obese and morbidly obese individuals.
guest guest

Re: My husband is morbidly obese

Dear Bren92,  if he is depressed he needs to see a doctor.

300 pounds is very heavy!  If that is not the man you have in mind for yourself, please leave him if you are still young enough to find another man.

I would wish to tell my younger self (even 5 years ago) he won't change and he won't lose the weight.  Hanging around hoping and wishing and maybe enabling the fattitude, for the rest of your lives together , is another way to go.

hugs and kisses
Yep Yep

Re: My husband is morbidly obese

He's a glutton who loves food more than you.  Find a real man.