The G-Word

Married2ASweatHog? Married2ASweatHog?

The G-Word

LiveLifeWell LiveLifeWell

Re: The G-Word

I remember using the word glutton in reference to obese person and my friend was appalled at me!  They thought it was just such a harsh word, as if the person/people were being intentional with their eating and trying to gain weight.

Re: The G-Word

gluttony - habitual eating to excess  . Ok, can't argue with that .

Is it more than that? easting in public? Eating high calorie foods?
If a fat spouse loses the weight, do they  still stay a glutton, the way an alcoholic or  drug addict  is always and addict, and "recovering"?
bana bana

Re: The G-Word

Andrea T wrote
gluttony - habitual eating to excess  . Ok, can't argue with that .

Is it more than that? easting in public? Eating high calorie foods?
If a fat spouse loses the weight, do they  still stay a glutton, the way an alcoholic or  drug addict  is always and addict, and "recovering"?
I've thought about this, Andrea, and I've concluded for me, personally, that I'm a 'recovering glutton'. Similar to a recovering alcoholic. I label myself this because I believe I will always struggle with wanting to eat too much. Some days /weeks/ months are better than others but the struggle is always there.

I'm open about it to my family and friends because I think not enough people take responsibility for the fact that gluttony is behind quite a bit of the overweight / obesity problems I'm seeing today and by telling people that fact about myself, I've more of a chance of keeping successful with my struggle. Not that it's anybody's business or that they'd want to know, but sometimes it can come up in specific conversations with close friends or family.

Not every overweight person is a glutton and, believe it or not, I've met some slim people that would appear to be gluttonous (and blessed with an amazing metabolism - definitely in the minority of course). Some overweight persons realize they want to lose weight as if the weight has creeped up on them unexpectedly and when they make a few simple decisions, like cutting out dessert and exercising more, they drop the weight. In other words they don't appear to "live to eat".
Eric Bana is hot. Why? Many reasons. One reason is because he's not fat.
fightlike_agirl fightlike_agirl

Re: The G-Word

bana wrote
I've thought about this, Andrea, and I've concluded for me, personally, that I'm a 'recovering glutton'. Similar to a recovering alcoholic. I label myself this because I believe I will always struggle with wanting to eat too much. Some days /weeks/ months are better than others but the struggle is always there.
Recovering glutton suits me too. I think I will always have a bit of an internal battle on my hands in this area of my life.
Do or do not. There is no try. -Jedi Master Yoda
LiveLifeWell LiveLifeWell

Re: The G-Word

In this day and age it's not difficult for anyone to be a "glutton" if you really think about it.  Consider fast-food, the portions are relatively small, but super calorie dense.  It's easy to eat a 1600 calorie fast food meal for lunch and not even realize that for most average women that's almost the bulk of their required caloric intake for the day.  It's not like a fast food meal is really filling either, you would still definitely be able to snack, and eat another full-on meal in the evening.

This is probably not a great example of "gluttony" but when you think about it, if obese people were being gluttons on fresh fruit, vegetable and salads, they could still eat quite alot and would probably only be half the size.
Fat Bastard Fat Bastard

Re: The G-Word

Proud Plumpette Proud Plumpette

Re: The G-Word

Fat Bastard Fat Bastard

Re: The G-Word

Re: The G-Word

So if  all fatlings are gluttons, If I get down to ideal weight/ bf%, I can  put it behind me , along with my behind?  That's encouraging!

Thanks LLW, I was thinking along the same lines when it came to fruit and  veg. I'm a spinach freak, and I swear it disappears when it's cooked. I  put in a plate that can't  take one more leaf, and get out   1 little  cup.I'm starting to wonder if it  vaporizes like a sock in the dryer!  I have to admit when I'm eating a bag  of spinach at a time, I was starting to wonder if it was gluttony.  And no FB, it's not creamed. That just looks  NASTY!

LaVidaBoring LaVidaBoring

Re: The G-Word

fightlike_agirl wrote
Yeah, I will always be a glutton, even if I'm not fat. I've accepted that I'll always have difficulties with food and overeating.

The morbidly obese kid with the hat at McDonalds actually had gastric bypass surgery, lost a lot of weight, and is doing well now healthwise (last I heard, actually). He was featured in an article about teens having WLS.
LiveLifeWell LiveLifeWell

Re: The G-Word

Oh Dear God!  Tell me that's a joke!  How horrible.