We're not overeating, we're under-exercising, study suggests

Barb Barb

We're not overeating, we're under-exercising, study suggests

A new study suggests that under-exercising, rather than overeating, may be at the heart of America's obesity epidemic.

Researchers from Stanford University School of Medicine report a strong correlation between the rise in obesity and a striking drop in the amount of time Americans spend exercising when not at work over the last 22 years.

Their analysis uncovered no evidence that American's have increased their daily calorie count in the same time period.

"We wouldn't say that calories don't count, but the main takeaway is that we have to look very carefully at physical activity. The problem is not all in the intake of calories," said Dr. Uri Ladabaum, a professor of gastroenterology at Stanford Medical School. Ladabaum is also the lead author of the study that will be published in the August issue of the American Journal of Medicine.

The study relies on data collected by the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 1988 to 2010, which Ladabaum and his team used to look for trends in obesity, abdominal obesity, physical activity and caloric intake in the last two decades.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-lack-of-exercise-linked-to-rise-in-obesity-20140707-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-lack-of-exercise-linked-to-rise-in-obesity-20140707-story.html
Mr Blue Mr Blue

Re: We're not overeating, we're under-exercising, study suggests

Dear Barb,

I heartily concur.  The only exercise my grossly overweight (read 530 lb.) wife gets is lumbering back and forth from her bedroom to the kitchen.  Otherwise she lolls around our house or her friends house during the day eating to her heart's content.
LucilleBlanton LucilleBlanton

Re: We're not overeating, we're under-exercising, study suggests

Yes, you are totally right. Because of this, my friend gained weight and this made him look fat. He then surfed on web and found about candlenut weight loss. It helped him a lot to remove fats from his body. You can visit this page to know more about it.