Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

Why change is so hard

     I know for a lot of fit spouses it's just getting the fat spouse to start, but I also see a lot of fit spouses wondering "why can't he/she just stuck with it?" This article has is pinned:

. Psychologists have discovered that self-control is an exhaustible resource. And I don’t mean self-control only in the sense of turning down cookies or alcohol, I mean a broader sense of self-supervision—any time you’re paying close attention to your actions, like when you’re having a tough conversation or trying to stay focused on a paper you’re writing. This helps to explain why, after a long hard day at the office, we’re more likely to snap at our spouses or have one drink too many—we’ve depleted our self-control.

        Don't get me wrong, this is not to give excuses at all. I just think willpower is extremely  overrated because willpower only takes you so far. Preparation at least in my weight loss has been so important - Desk drawer full of healthy alternatives to eating out, a few diet-legal treats in the freezer for days when "I just can't take it anymore" .You  have to expect those bad days to come and have a plan for dealing with them, otherwise it turns into a binge or giving up.
mountain mountain

Re: Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

I too believe this is true.

And as you said, you have to prepare for it. That means having only healthy food at home and at work. If junk isn't there, you can't eat it.
Plus I found one tactic working really well. When I feel the urge to eat more chocolate than I should........I walk out of the kitchen and start cleaning the bathroom, dusting.....something totally different and usually, after a couple of minutes, the craving is gone.
Or I grab and apple or carrot!
Married2ASweatHog? Married2ASweatHog?

Re: Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

Andi844 Andi844

Re: Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

Would you happen to know what article/journal this came from? The link doesn't work. I'd like to know how they tested this. I'd like to know how that's even testable.
Thanks!
The best solution is prevention

Re: Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

here's the link again http://www.fastcompany.com/video/why-change-is-so-hard-self-control-is-exhaustible

"The lummox needs to retrain his polluted palate and  put his loved ones ahead of his food lust. "

Ok, but there's always going to be a day that  the packed lunch gets dropped, stolen from the fridge,  forgotten, you get the idea.  Either the "fatling" can think ahead and be prepared, break their diet, or go hungry all  day. Even the nastiest vending machine food starts to look good after  you've missed breakfast and lunch.

"I make my fatlings feel like shit about their selfish behavior and because fatlings are generally more egoistic than thinlings the cognitive ensuing dissonance forces them to reform"

Is every person above a normal BMI a fatling?

If that's true  do they need to "feel like shit about their selfish behavior"  from starting to normal weight? That's a  long time to feel like shit.

.

Married2ASweatHog? Married2ASweatHog?

Re: Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

AndreaT AndreaT

Re: Why Change Is So Hard: Self-Control Is Exhaustible

So do you have a sliding scale or just any % over a certain amount is an automatic fatling?