'XL Love': How fat is affecting our sex lives

Posted by Matilda Tuesday Matilda Tuesday
'XL Love': How fat is affecting our sex lives

When it comes to what she deems the American "obesity crisis," Sarah Varney says, it's easy enough to focus on the raw numbers: Sixty-nine percent of Americans are overweight, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and 35.1% of those people are obese. In 2008, medical care costs related to obesity were as high as $147 billion, and an obese person's annual medical bill was $1,429 higher than that of a normal-weight person.

Varney's new book "XL Love: How the Obesity Crisis Is Complicating America's Love Life," out in August, looks at how our increasing girth is weighing on the humans beyond the statistics, particularly the way people relate physically and intimately.