some help for binge eaters

sweet potato sweet potato

some help for binge eaters

I have no connection to the book or its author, but it has been so incredibly helpful to me that I wanted to pass it along.
It's a book called Brain Over Binge, written by Kathryn Hansen. It is taken from another book called Rational Recovery.
   I've been a binge eater for 40 years and have tried everything. Therapy, groups, diets, affirmations, you name it. Everything helped in the short term but nothing really stuck and every day I felt that I was white knuckling my "sobriety". This book talks about how we have two distinct parts in our brain: a higher brain that we have full control over, and a lower brain that is the author of our "AV" or addictive voice. Basically if WE are not our addiction, then we can say "no" to the addictive voice and never binge again.
   I know this is so simplistic. I also know that I have been binge free since February 26. I just wanted to pass the information along in case someone is desperate for something new. To be honest, I think the whole concept is crazy, but I am jumping on that crazy train and taking it all the way toward a slimmer body and better health. Everything else has failed me and I have felt like a failure. This is working. I hope it will work for you too. Best wishes!!
loveinaturtleshell loveinaturtleshell

Re: some help for binge eaters

To me, people appear to eat mindlessly, barely aware of either the amount they eat or what they eat.   I think this can lead to overeating.   Also, it takes our brain about half an hour to register satiety.   So, the idea about the brain being in charge of our eating habits is probably valid.    I think people eat more when in stress or anxiety.   It is something that calms them down, but bodies just add it on as more fat.   Too bad being really upset doesn't burn lots of calories..  LIATS